Re: Signinig up, versions, passing UMOs [was: Passing UMOs]

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
> I guess I have to come up with exact spec for what "pass" means ;-)
> There we go.
> First of all, let me replace word "passed" with word "studied"
> as I was misusing it most of the time before :( I'll be using word
> "passed" in a correct sense - "successfully fulfilled all UMO requirements"
> from now on.
>
> 1. As far as explanation is concerned, student has to read it, after he
> signed
> up for it. Then it is considered to be studied.

It is impossible to control whether it was read or just opened. So,
would it be reasonable for the student to check an explanation was studied?
> 2. Problem is "studied" after student attempts to solve it. Solutions can
> be assigned ratings (depending on problem type, we may provide different
> algorithms for calculating them), and teacher may set a minimum passing
> rating.

OK, this can be set by the Author. Teacher has to have tool to reset it.

> 3. Test is "passed" when student accumulates rating set by author by solving
> problems within it.

Same comment as above.

> 4. Topic is "studied" after student "studied" all required explanations and
> "studied" all required problems, and "passed" all required sub-topics, and
> "passed" all tests.

Same comment.

> As you may have noticed, I've used word "required" few times above. That
> means we provide a tool to mark referred UMOs as required to be studied
> or required to be passed, in order to consider current UMO to be passed.

Same comment. Please note, you, in fact, propose to start design and
implementing administrative block and work-flow.
I understand all mentioned above UMOs considered of certain version used
in this course.

--

Anatoly Volynets, Co-Founder
total-knowledge.com