Re: Signinig up, versions, passing UMOs [was: Passing UMOs]

> 2007/1/8, sergey@total-knowledge.com <sergey@total-knowledge.com>:
>>
>> > BTW, there is an interesting thing about passing not the latest
>> version
>> of
>> > the UMO. If the version of UMO is passed and it isn't the latest
>> version
>> -
>> > then UMO isn't passed
>>
>> If any version of UMO U in Course A is passed, then _it_ _is_ _passed_
>> even if there are other versions of this UMO that may or may not belong
>> Course A.
>

> So,  it should also be true that if student passed any version of the UMO
> within course A, and this UMO is also included into course B, then that
> UMO
> is considered as already passed regardless of the latest version.

Yes, if Student passed problem P's version P-3 in Course A, it's
considered as already passed in Course B for this Student regardless of
any other version of P in Course B.
If that's what you asked.

>> since course requires the latest version.
>>
>> Any course _displays_ the latest versions of their UMOs by default(newer
>> than "latest" versions may belong to other courses or be available in
>> Repository). Older than "latest" versions available for Students in each
>> Course.
>>
>> > That made my day :)
>>
>> I think you are talking about passing a Course with bunch of UMOs that
>> belong to it. Let's say Student Bill successfully passed all UMOs in
>> Course A except problem P. Let's say P has 5 versions.
>> Course A has versions
>> P-1, P-2 and P-3(shown as default one)
>> There is another Course B that has versions
>> P-3, P-4 and P-5(shown as default one)
>>
>> In order to pass Course A and be eligible for voting on Course A,
>> student
>> Bill must pass P-1, P-2 and P-3 only. No need to pass P-4 and P-5 unless
>> Bill wants to vote on Course B.
>

> Strictly IMHO:
> Problem versions are independent of the course. Also, if the problem has N
> versions, only one of them should be available at the moment.
> Therefore, student should only study a problem once..

I don't see anything wrong with availability of all "older than current"
versions for Student. Most likely an average student _will_ study a
problem once without looking at any older versions of it.
That's why I disagree with the concept of passing all _available_ for the
particular student versions of UMO in order to vote on "parent UMO" this
UMO belongs to. Imho, passing one version of Problem P should be enough to
vote on Course, Topic, Test, etc that contain this Problem P.

>> if
>> the

>> test
>> he