Re: Voting [was: Passing UMOs]

2007/1/4, sergey@total-knowledge.com <sergey@total-knowledge.com>:

>> Alexey Parshin wrote:
>> > IMHO, only one version of the UMO should be available at the time.
>> What would be the point of versioning then?
>

> The point of versioning is to allow the UMO creating and modification
> support, and the ability to switch between versions. However, from the
> point
> of the author, there is only one current version of UMO that author
> considers necessary to study. Otherwise, there is no point to create a new
> version if people can still use the old one.

I think all versions should be available for studying.
Imagine a situation when student or teacher bought a course today and will
see something completely different tomorrow if one of the authors decides
to create new version of this course.

Yes, and it's exactly the point of the new version - it replaces the old one. I can imagine the situation when someone open a course and sees 20 different versions of the same UMO. When an author creates a new version, his goal is to fix the problems in the old one, isn't it? Or, he may want to extend the old one with something new. In any case - I don't see why it would make any sense to keep the old versions active (unless the student tries to pass an old one).