Re: User roles and UI

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
>>  What kind of issues you foresee if we allow
>> also to  solve  the problems, play games, conduct exercises?
>>

> Here is an example: as things are now, we associate teacher with
> a course. If someone solves a human-controlled problem, which teacher will
> be notified?

His teacher, that exact teacher, who teaches the course, who else? What
that means "we associate"? This is how it ought to be: an Author creates
a course. Thousands of Teachers love it and use to teach their
students.  It can happen they like it how it is, do not do any changes.
So the set of administrative tools they get at UU must help them to
teach their particular audiences this very course. Does it make sense?

>> As of today, I understand WE provide environment to create UMOs and
>> organize them in courses and other UMOs, while making all of these
>> available for people who want to learn. I understand there are
>> significant differences between Open and Closed (let's arrange what term
>> we use) servers. Usually I am talking about  Open  Server if not said
>> otherwise.  Is there real technical problems in making UMOs  separately
>> accessible  within  Repository?  Are there compromises possible?
>>

> OK. I think as far as signing up and studying, we could probably
> implement it
> in a same way as a course. When student signs up for UMO, all referred to
> UMOs are signed up to as well, taking a snapshot of versions linked to.
> I can't think of specific problems, except for accounting on closed
> server right
> now, but this gives me a bad feeling.

Fear not. Why don't we add another property to the Study Object (or how
the Parent for all UMOs called?): payable? By default it will be
disabled if included in another UMO, etc.

>>> What would it mean? How would proceeds from such sign-ups be
>>> distributed to authors?
>>>

>> What kind of difference this makes?  An UMO  has  its Author. You
>> suggest that an author can ask for payment for the access to his course.
>> What kind of access then is supposed here? What if somebody just like to
>> find and create interesting problems? Do we want this kind of authors?
>>

> They can live on
> a. other people including their problems in courses
> b. stand-alone problems.

We need to clarify, how Authors get money. This all based on Authoright.
UU probably brings in something specific here, but we need to
understand, how it should be the best way.

--

Anatoly Volynets, Co-Founder
total-knowledge.com

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008