User roles and UI

It's not much about this in the specs and I'd like to hear your opinion on
how different kinds of users will change their roles in UI.
Let's say during a registration user chooses his role from the dropdown:
1. Student
2. Author
3. Teacher.

Top and left navigation bars will look exactly the same for all kind of
users. If Student, for example, clicks on "Create New Course" link, he
will get user-friendly version of "Permission denied" message.

1. Let's say an Author wants to check how his Course looks in Student's
eyes. I guess he should either change his role to Student or have an
access to his own Course as a Student. It has to be done within one
session.

2. Let's say Bill, an Author of Course "A", is a Student for Course "B"
and Teacher for Course "C". He should be able to enter each Course with
appropriate role within one session.

3. Let's say Bill browses Repository. As an Author he should see editable
versions of UMOs and be able to add them to his Course. As a Student and
Teacher, he should see "view only" versions of UMO.

What the best way to deal with those situations? I have some ideas, but I
think it would be more efficient if UU authors speak first, it will help
me to move ahead in the right direction from the very beginning.

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008