Re: User roles and UI

Another question is about "not logged in" users. Per docs they can't
browse a Repository:
http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU_Page_Flow#Not_Logged_in
but can see "Lists of top-level course, through problems and text
dialogues categories" on the home page:
http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU_Page_Flow#Content_5

What's the criteria for choosing "lists" that should be displayed for not
logged in users on the Home page?
Why can't they browse/search a Repository? Maybe they should see partial
non-editable versions of the UMOs there?

> I forgot to add a Translator. He potentially can be Student/Author/Teacher
> too and other way around.
> Per "Database structure requirements" when new user tries to access an
> UMO:
> "If the required ACL entry doesn't exist it is created."
> So what entry will be created? Can it be based on user's choice on
> registration? If yes, should we have those values saved somewhere in DB or
> they will be stored in UUServlet object?
>

>> Also how do you become, for example, an Author or a Teacher if you are
>> just a Student? Change your role on "My Account" page or something like
>> that?
>>
>>> It's not much about this in the specs and I'd like to hear your opinion
>>> on
>>> how different kinds of users will change their roles in UI.
>>> Let's say during a registration user chooses his role from the
>>> dropdown:
>>> 1. Student
>>> 2. Author
>>> 3. Teacher.
>>>
>>> Top and left navigation bars will look exactly the same for all kind of
>>> users. If Student, for example, clicks on "Create New Course" link, he
>>> will get user-friendly version of "Permission denied" message.
>>>
>>> 1. Let's say an Author wants to check how his Course looks in Student's
>>> eyes. I guess he should either change his role to Student or have an
>>> access to his own Course as a Student. It has to be done within one
>>> session.
>>>
>>> 2. Let's say Bill, an Author of Course "A", is a Student for Course "B"
>>> and Teacher for Course "C". He should be able to enter each Course with
>>> appropriate role within one session.
>>>
>>> 3. Let's say Bill browses Repository. As an Author he should see
>>> editable
>>> versions of UMOs and be able to add them to his Course. As a Student
>>> and
>>> Teacher, he should see "view only" versions of UMO.
>>>

>>> What the best way to deal with those situations? I have some ideas, but
>>> think it would be more efficient if UU authors speak first, it will
>>> help
>>> me to move ahead in the right direction from the very beginning.

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008