Re: UU pages mock-ups

Few ideas of mine:

1. UU/Author/Home

1.1. It makes sense to give a choice to view list of UMOs like in a file manager: list of top links, or expanded list (similar to what it is now), or tree-like. Say:

My UMOs - the header
Courses, DoTs, Through Problems, Topics, etc. (links)
Expanded List (link)
Tree View (link)

1.2. But then: "My Objects" on the side bar is not needed.

1.3. "Create New" must be here only "Create an Independent UMO". Mostly it will be not the case: people will create UMOs while doing courses, etc., that is a new UMO is automatically linked to a parent UMO it is created for (and, of course, it automatically goes to My UMOs list and the general Repository).

1.4. What is "View All" - all from the general Repository or all mine?

1.5. What is My Objects under Repository link? Others' UMOs I like? If so, wouldn't it better to call it "Bookmarks" or such like? What is Catalog there? Something of "My Searches" type?

1.6. Why don't we add "Log in as Student" here (similar to "Log in as an Author" on the Student home page)? Or how it supposed to work?

2. UU/Author/CourseCreate.html

I don't see any changes since my last visit here

3. UU/Student/Home.html

What is "Course Catalog" there (to compare with Repository, "Courses being studied" and "Your current courses")?

Uh, understood - it is just special line from repository? I am thinking, what if take away the term "Repository" from UI? Let it be "Catalogs" with all UMOs included, so that an user wouldn't go in different places (even on one page) for different UMOs? What do you think?

4. UU/Student/Topic.html

Header "Alternative explanations" feels superficial

5.  UU/Student/Problem.html

"Problem Statement" was meant to be a link? And there supposed to be the "Solve", "Next Problem", probably some other links.

6. UU/Student/Repository.html
Headers:
Topic Repository
Problem Repository
Explanation Repository
Game Repository
Exercises Repository - feel superficial. Why don't we make it like:

Topics
Problems
Explanations
etc.

7. A general suggestion: the Page Flow section of the project may contain some useful hints.

sergey@total-knowledge.com wrote:
New update.
http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/Author/Home.html

Few notes:

There is currently "Login as author" and "Login as student" thing.
I presume this is only for mock-up purposes, and will not be there
in real code.

Yes, it's only for mock-up purposes.

When one opens topic, some explanation should be shown by default.
I think what we'll do, is assign two values to each explanation:
difficulty
level, and sequence number. There can be more then one explanation
with same difficulty level. Sequence numbers should be unique within
given difficulty level within given topic. Thus, student can select
default
difficulty level (probably on per-course basis), as one of his
preferences.
Then, when he opens a topic, an explanation at or below his default
difficulty level with lowest sequence number is displayed.
(I have to add this all to feature spec...)

Done. Author sets as many levels of difficulty as he likes on Course level.

Catalog organization. I think I wrote that we need to categorize our
objects,
and we even came up with categorization parameters.
http://www.total-knowledge.com/progs/uu/archive/msg00084.html
Please reflect that in your mock-ups.

Done. There is a "Catalog" link on the left navigation bar. Search results
will have a similar look

Now, about your "texts" idea. I think it's possible, we just need to
clarify
it a bit. Is "text" a kind of "media object", that can be
included/referenced?
How will it show up, how do we version them, how do authors actually
use it?

Yes, it may be included/referenced to any object, not just dialogs. It may
show up as a short inscription at the beginning of an object content view,
like epigraphs that somehow related to the content that follows them. Authors will be able to create their own texts, version them, share with
other authors.
Once again, I suggest this feature only because we have Text object
already and because it's very similar to the way we deal with
tests/problems objects

Repository. In repository, objects themselves are not hierarchical at all.
We can build hierarchy of categories, yes, but not copy it from course
organization. The way your mock-up shows it, it isn't clear if you meant
same thing as I just explained.

Done.
Click on "My Objects" Courses link on the left navigation bar, check
checkboxes with Courses that you want to look at, then click on "Topics"
link on the Repository top navigation bar, then on "Problems" link on the
Repository top navigation bar.
We may limit users to viewing no more than 4 objects hierarchy at the same
time(like Course->Topic->Test->Problem or Course->Topic->Dialog-Text) for
better presentation on UI.
"History" link allows user to view selected objects history.

Some page-by page questions (if any of these can be answered by
giving me a link to feature-spec section, then just give the link):

http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/Author/CourseCreate.html
What is "References" field?

I found "References" in
http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU_Page_Flow
Not quite sure what it is, I removed it for now.

Why is "Create Topic" there as well? Hint: the fact that Course is
internally
derived from topic should not be visible on UI.

Done.

http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/Author/ProblemCreate.html
How do you expect to blend different types of problem solvers in a
single page?

Don't understand this one. Can you please elaborate?

http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/Author/TestCreate.html
What is "generate using 5 random problems" thing?

I found it here:
http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU
removed it for now.

http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/Author/Account.html
What is "My co-authors" thing?

Removed it from My account, but still have list of co-authors on the Home
page. I think it's a list all author's co-authors that participated in
creatinf shared objects.

Now, common things:
"Click here to assign..." - maybe it does make sense, but I think the
other
direction will be more common. I.E. someone will go to some topic, and add
subtopics to it. In most cases, when one will create topic, he'll want to
do
something like
Click on add subtopic->edit/save that subtopic, and expect it to be part
of parent topic immediately.
You have similar page flow on "Create Test" page already.

Done.
"Create New" links on the left navigation bar will be used for creating
child object for _current_ object on all View/Edit pages. If no parent
object info in environment(like on My account page etc), child objects
will be assigned to TLT(course).

--

Anatoly Volynets, Co-Founder
total-knowledge.com