Re: User roles and UI

Comment added below...

>> In order to become a student of object X (i.e. get "study" permission
>> in corresponding ACL table), user has to sign up for a course that
>> contains
>> said object.
>
> Ok, I have this functionality in my mock-ups:
> When browsing "Course Catalog" page
> http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/CatalogStudent.html
> and when browsing Repository(link "STUDY" on the very bottom of the page
> http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/CourseViewRepository.html
> If the UMO in previous example is not a Course, potential student will be
> redirected to "Sign-up for Course" page anyway.
>

>> In order to become an author of object X user has to either create
>> the object, or be given "modify" access to the object by one of other
>> authors of said object.
>>
>> In order to become "Translator" of object X user has to be granted
>> "translate" right by one of object authors.
>>
>> How does one become teacher of an object isn't 100% clear to me.
>> I guess one of course authors has to grant this right.
>>

> Here is how this type of functionality may look on UI
> http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/CourseViewRepository.html
>
> Example provided for Guest user (logged-in users won't see email address
> field). After clicking on the UMO link from the Repository, user will have
> options to Study/Modify/Translate/Teach the UMO. Clicking on
> Modify/Translate/Teach links will submit the request to all this UMO
> authors. Authors will get a notification by email and also will have an
> option to check all "outstanding requests" related to all UMOs they owe at
> "My Account" page.
> Authors may or may not grant a permission to the user, he will get a
> notification by email, may check "Status" link that will be provided by UU
> on the confirmation page or may see it on his "My Account" page(for
> already existing users).
> If permission by Authors is granted, guest user will be forsed to create
> an account with UU in order to use the UMO that he selected from the
> Repository.

There is one downside I see now regarding Author's Add/Modify UMOs workflow.
If Authors won't be able to deal with editable versions of UMOs in
Repository, then the idea of "Find UMO in Repository -> Edit -> Save it to
your Course right away" won't work.
Author will edit/save a new UMO to "His Repository" of objects, then
assign it to any Course he wants.

>> See more comments below..
>>
>> sergey@total-knowledge.com wrote:
>>> Another question is about "not logged in" users. Per docs they can't
>>> browse a Repository:
>>> http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU_Page_Flow#Not_Logged_in
>>> but can see "Lists of top-level course, through problems and text
>>> dialogues categories" on the home page:
>>> http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU_Page_Flow#Content_5
>>>
>>> What's the criteria for choosing "lists" that should be displayed for
>>> not
>>> logged in users on the Home page?
>>>
>> Guests need to see things that they can sign up for.
>
> Guests will see shortened versions of Catalog "loops" on the Home page
> with "View More" options for each Catalog category.
>
>>> Why can't they browse/search a Repository? Maybe they should see
>>> partial
>>> non-editable versions of the UMOs there?
>>>
>> I don't know (or don't remember) why we decided to make generic object
>> repository inaccessible to guests. Perhaps simply because average guest
>> does not need to see separate objects? OTOH, if person is coming to our
>> site in order to become a course author, access to repository as guest
>> is
>> important. I guess I'll say, let's make it generally accessible, unless
>> someone
>> can remember why it was decided to do otherwise.
>>>>
>> I guess what I have said above should answer this question. If you need
>> more
>> clarification, let me know.

>> Of course not. See above.
>>>>>>
>> Authors shall have "student view" of their objects, but "passing" their
>> objects
>> will not be reflected on their overall scores (whatever those will be)
>
> There are 2 ways to deal with this on UI:
> 1. Stored procedure will grant any Author "Student permission" to the UMO
> he created. When clicking on "STUDY" link on view object page
> http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/CourseViewRepository.html
> an Author will see the "Student view" of the UMO right away and will be
> able to "study" it without buying if the Course is not free.
> 2. When clicking on "STUDY" link on view object page
> http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/CourseViewRepository.html
> an Author gets "Study request" from himself by email and approves it in
> order to check his Course from Student POW.

>> Not quite. Nowhere in the spec it says that author can edit all objects.
>>
>> --
>> Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh
>> Total Knowledge. CTO
>> http://www.total-knowledge.com