Re: Teachers

sergey@total-knowledge.com wrote:
My comments are below, mixed with the text.

2006/12/13, sergey@total-knowledge.com <sergey@total-knowledge.com>:
I'm opening a new thread for discussing Teachers functionality in the
UU.
We have some Teacher related stuff in the specs:

http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU#Teacher

but I think it's time to extend it.

Here is the list of Teacher's activities that may be available in the
UU:

1. Pass the comments to Student after he solves a problems and passes
the
solution to Teacher. Ability to see list of all outstanding problems for
all Students
Define "outstanding". Is it a list of problems available in the topic but
not solved yet? Since the course is just Top-Level-Topic, it should go
down
the structure  of all child topics..

"Outstanding problems" means problems solved and submitted by Students to
Teacher that await for his resolution.

Once again - it is question of administrative tools, which we need to answer in general terms first.

Here is the link that demonstrates how it works:
http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/ProblemsList.html
It doesn't matter which Topic those problems belong. Tests completed by
Students will be listed in the similar way.

It is clear, that all the info about solved, studied, passed, etc. UMOs is important for the student. It is our ideology for now. What the info has to do with the teacher? I don't have an answer right away. UU is not environment for regular things, or to be precise - not for regular things only. What casual features of educational systems are to be implemented here? The answer is never obvious.

2. Add/Remove Students from his Course

Meaning - assigning permissions to the Top-Level-Topic and all sub topics?
Imho, we don't add/remove students - we operate with permissions instead.

No, we don't, Teachers do. They remove unwanted/"already graduated"/"bad
rating"/etc Students from the Course they teach, we change permissions to
TLT.

No way. There is no such an authority in UU at all and I suspect - will never be, at least at Open Server. Probably, this kind of authority could work on the Closed Server? I don't know.

3. Assign Course or any other UMO within a Course to a Student.

Same as above, mostly.

Teachers assign, for example, Problem or Test to a Student, we change
permissions using your stored procedure.

Sorry guys, there are no assignments at all in uu specs for now.

4. Set grades(ratings) to a Student.

We may have grades for problems. The resulting grade should be computed
from
these grades. We can also add the structure that supports something like
"graduation". This structure should be filled by  the system and by the
teacher, switching the whole course for a student to read-only. After
that,
student has his grade for the course and can't change anything..

Yes it's for problems or tests.
Students have points assigned to them by Teacher.
http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/ProblemCheckSolution.html
or by UU automatically when they take time-limited Tests,
or by Teacher himself on the View Student Info page.
Teacher should be able to set points to Problems in Tests as well as
points for Test's time intervals. This is mostly for next versions,
though.

Sorry guys, there are no grades, assigned points, etc. in uu specs as of today.

5. Assign Students to certain difficulty levels within a Course.(Student
will be able to see only UMOs of certain difficulty level)
If the difficulty level is set ONLY by the teacher - then it makes sense.
However, maintaining such structure could be difficult. Instead, we can
use
something like:

select all the objects within the course matching the conditions, and
grant/revoke access to these objects to/from a group of users.

The conditions may include anything from the object. If the difficulty
level
or language are used in conditions, we may apply it to child objects
accordingly.

I see what you mean, but let's wait for the customer decision on
difficulty levels issue first.

That is right, the feature itself is in question.

6. Ability to change any UMO difficulty level within a Course(No new
version should be created)
That's a simple part.

7. Sets the price for a Course

We don't have a support for this in the database at the moment. It's
pretty
simple if we are talking about Top-Level-Topic only.

Yes, it's in original specs, Teacher sets the price for Course. I think we
can add it to DB.

Yes it is and it is to be implemented.

8. Chooses his prefered language(s) for the Course from the list of
available languages for this Course.
Does it apply for the Top-Level-Topic, or forevery topic?

Teacher sets the language on a Course level only. All UMOs in this Course
will be displayed using this language.

9. Ability to hide(not update) from Student certain UMOs in the Course
that he teaches.
What for?

Well, maybe you are right. An ability to assign Students to certain
difficulty levels within a Course should suffice.

No assignments at all,.. for now.

Anatoly Volynets, Co-Founder
total-knowledge.com
culturedialogue.org