Re: UU Object Diagram

>> simple..
>> >>

>> Others may want to use standard levels provided by UU, in mockups we
>> have
>> - beginner
>> - intermediate
>> I personally don't like "master" level as one of the default ones, but I
>> bet that 99% of Russian-speaking programmers will jump on this one right
>> away no matter what this course about.
>>
> You're damn right about that. I know - I would.
>
> Personally, I feel that we are trying over complicate a simple matter.
> Most
> of the programs that allow to adjust the interface, have only two (simple
> and advanced) or three (add intermediate) levels of interface difficulty.
> And you can switch the level at any time. It doesn't limit your abilities.
> It does hide the things you don't understand. Like, in video editing
> tools,
> many parameters you can adjust say nothing to most of the people,
> including
> me. I expect - the same thing exists in our case. But it should be very
> easy
> to use, with very clear understanding of difficulty level.
> We don't need
> exact difficulty of something, compared to the level of student and
> changing
> a structure of the course for him. BTW, I believe, for that one we should
> have pre-requirements, and we missed it in the database somehow. Am I
> wrong?
> Pre-requirements may define: in order to access topic C, you should pass
> topics A and B..

What's "pass topics A and B"? Pass all tests/problems in topics A and B?
If yes, I agree that it may make sense for some types of courses.

IMHO we are looking at UU too narrow even for this early stages. As I
understand, ideally it should allow teachers to teach anything and
students to study anything.
We have to have some kind of level per Course basis(_only_ because it's
the "toppest" UMO in our structure). We have topics there, but they serve
different purposes and should be available for "leveling" too, if needed.
The first thing any user for any course pays attention after Course title
and it's content overview is levels of difficulty(not necessarily
difficulty, I'll explain below). Student checks how the Course fits his
needs _before_ studying it(entering Topic, etc.). If he sees that this
Course doesn't have, like in my case with "Studying C++", "begginers"
level he won't buy it(unless his angry boss will forse him to do so).
"Studying C++" is my goal and I'm ready to pay a price for that. I think
it fits UU defenition of a Course as a purely administrative unit from
_student_ point of view, so "Studying C++"-"begginners" and "Studying
C++"-"advanced" are not 2 different courses, but 2 different levels of
difficulty for the abstract goal - "Studying C++".

Let's say I want to create a course "Friday 12/08 picks" using UU for
selling sports betting picks to some pathetic gambler addicts. Basically
it's a normal course with topics("Today NBA picks", "Today NFL picks",
etc.), subtopics(games itself), explanations(writeups for each game, can
be "one to many" too), etc. The Teacher is perfect in this example -
actual results of the game.
In this example, I must have some levels on a course basis to
differentiate users before they get their picks and the difference is not
any kind of difficulty, but users's pocket. Handicappers may use number of
units(say, 1 unit = $100) to do that, so the levels of "difficulty" in
this case will be units. Higher level gamblers get "better" picks, more
thorough analisys of the games, better bonuses, etc. For their membership,
high unit users can look at lower level picks within the same course.
You may create topics "1 unit player", "2-4 unit player", etc., but it
will be misuse of Topic concept, topics should be used for studying only.

I'm sure there are other examples of using courses for non-traditional
goals where an Author will have to have a flexibility with any kind of
levels per Course basis.
I hope I didn't bore you much with my writeups.

> http://www.sptk.net

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008