Re: Difficulty levels

I would love to get some feedback on my story too :)

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
I don't understand, where did this idea that access is going to
be controlled by difficulty level came from. It was never in the spec,
that I am sure about. And never will be.

Again - please re-read my statement of problem that I sent in original
email.
This is the _only_ problem I intend to solve with difficulty levels, so
please
stay within boundaries of that problem.
And here is a bit of reasoning behind that (so that you don't think it's
just my whim):

1. UU intends to be as open as possible. Even in closed-server environment,
we want to provide students with as much access to materials as possible.
This means we will not let teachers limit this access on per-object basis
(What's the point of that anyways?)

2. From programming POV: multiple mechanisms of limiting object access
are just plain confusing. Think: what happens when access is denied on
basis of one group, yet allowed on basis of another? Even if we define clear
rules for that, and make a bug-free implementation, in at least 30% of cases
end users will expect one thing to happen and we'll do another.

So, to sum it up:

Difficulty level, community-driven or not, is for informational and
rendering
purposes only. Not for access control. Period.

--

Anatoly Volynets, Co-Founder
total-knowledge.com

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008