Re: Course <->topic [was: UU database: problem tables]

2006/10/2, Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh <ilya@total-knowledge.com>:
Exactly. You never see a course that, say, covers
Russian Literature of XIX century and calculus at the same
time. Unless, that is, course topic is 'Advances of
Science and Art in XIX century'. Notice how that is phrase.
Specifically "topic" word there.

So, if the course name is Russian Literature of XIX century, it can't be that it has several topics, say:
- Novikov
- Bulgakov
- Breznev
?

And, if these are not topics, then what are they?

It doesn't affect the database structure, but I just want to see your reasons..

In other words - yes, topic is comprised from "subject", [optionally]
"subtopics",
[optionally] "training problems", "explanations", and, finally, "test".
For all intents and purposes, course is just a topic, with extra
administrative
interfaces on top of it.

From Object-oriented point of view this is expressed as derivation
relationship.