CPPSERV

Home Projects Jobs Clientele Contact

cppserv

Re: New API & Exceptions

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
On one hand using standard C++ exceptions
where possible makes sense. On the other hand,
it introduces naming inconsistencies, because
some exceptions have no analogues (think
IllegalStateException when setting headers in
committed output stream). I think best approach
is combined one: simply derive from standard exceptions
where possible, (or even create typedefs), and still
throw by Java name. This way both C++ programmers,
and those switching from Java will have what they need.
Side benefit of having all Java exception names available
is easier possibility of automagic Java servlet to C++ servlet
translation (I know it's far off goal, but one day we might
come up with the tool ;-)

You're right. Deriving from std or typedefing is a good idea. I'm for it.

Krzysztof Rzymkowski wrote:
Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
I am yet again restarting the API conversion process,
and yet another question pops up. Current cxxsp API
does not define standard servlet exceptions, even though
it lists them in docs as being thrown. Shall we fix documentation
or the code?

The docs were copied almost as is from the JavaServlet API. I think we
should fix both the code and docs. We should use standard C++
exception where possible (e.g. std::invalid_argument instead of
IllegalArgumentException)

I should spent some time on the API docs, but that's such a boring
task, that I can't make myself do it ;p

Cheers
Chris
http://cxxsp.sf.net