Re: Implementing "Create Topic" [was: Identical UMO titles in UU]

Here is the part of our discussion on IRC regarding returning 2 values
from stored procedure issue:

HappySquirrel> sergey, I was trying to implement your idea about returning
more than one value from topic_create
<HappySquirrel> At this moment, I don't think it's a good idea
<HappySquirrel> 1) It instantly breaks any code using topic_create()
<HappySquirrel> 2) It makes it harder to work with topic_create(), and
makes it an exception of everything else we have
<HappySquirrel> I admit, though, that my workaround isn't perfect
<HappySquirrel> (that is - to call a select after topic_create()).
<HappySquirrel> however, I can make a special proc,
<HappySquirrel> topic_create_ext(), that would do it for you
<HappySquirrel> (if you insist)

My concern is that we are going to have the same issue at the creation of
every UMO in the application - we'll need UMO_id and UMO_content_id every
time, so I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on this subject.

> It is possible to return a structure from stored proc. Unfortunately, ODBC
> has no support for this. I'd try to return two values, but it would take
> some time.
>
> 2007/4/25, sergey@total-knowledge.com <sergey@total-knowledge.com>:
>>
>> When I modify topic I have to deal with topic_content_id, so I need to
>> get
>> this value on topic creation.
>> Currently my Topic::create() returns topic_id(b/c topic_create() returns
>> topic_id). I'd like to avoid running the additional query to get
>> topic_content_id by topic_id.
>> Is it possible to return structures from stored procedure? Any ideas how
>> should deal with this?

> http://www.sptk.net

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008