Re: Versioning

I thought users of an UMO get notified when the UMO was updated and they decide if they want the new version. The users don't have to notify anyone about their decision:

     "2.1.5 Object Versioning-O

Let's say user X creates object O. The user Y uses O in his course. Now X changes O. Will the course include edited version of O, or original one? Ideally it should be up to Y to decide that. This leads us to the concept of object versioning. i.e. each change to an object creates a new version, and old one stays. When linking objects to each other (i.e. adding problem to topic) author decides which version to use."

I believe the author in the last sentence is Y. Se also (I don't remember, why we have to spots for the versioning in specs):

     "3.7.5 Object versioning

Every object will have versioning history. Version is created every time an author indicates that this text is ready for inclusion. Until that time any changes are saved, but are not visible to anyone but authors.

Other users of the object get notified the object has changed. They can choose to upgrade the object or leave it as is.

If a user of a object edits the object or builds a new one upon the used one it is up to this user to consider himself an author or an editor. In any case everyone using the original object gets notified and the new or edited object bears its history: which object it is built upon."

There are questions arising from the last passage:

1. We don't have the "Editor" among user types. Should we consider the one? 2. We have to clarify the following: "In any case everyone using the original object gets notified" - it sounds like the original author of an original UMO gets notified when the UMO gets edited by another user. Should be this way? I doubt it, meaning that the user edits the UMO for his own usage.

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
Once again. Notifications go in opposite direction.
It is not your choice how to notify people who link to your
object. It's theirs.

sergey@total-knowledge.com wrote:
So, in this case scenario we don't really have to worry about notifying
authors after new version is created. We may give them a message once they
visit their object that "New version was created. In order to view it,
select it from dropdown below". If they like it and want it to be their
default at this point, they may just hit "Save" button.

He is my view on how versioning may look on UI(done for course,
topic/explanation, explanation)

http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/CourseEdit.html
http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/TopicEdit.html
http://gateway.total-knowledge.com/~sergey/UU/ExplanationEdit.html

Eligible author will be able to view/edit _all_ versions of current object
using dropdowns. By default he will see "_his_ + _latest_" version of
object if he clicks on the object link from "My UMOs" page or "_latest_"
if he comes there from Main Repository/Catalog. Once he updates/saves it
there, it becomes "_his_ + _latest_" and temporarily _latest_ for others.
Same scenario for all dependencies, dependent object may have different
version than parent.

--

Anatoly Volynets, Co-Founder
total-knowledge.com