Re: Versioning

Alexey Parshin wrote:
> I'm not talking about the complete functionality yet. The schema I
> described allows to implement it, but at the moment I'm only trying to
> develop a way of switching the versions.
> The main questions at the moment, I guess, are:
> 1) how do we keep object versions to track the version tree. I've
> offered a conception of original object..
How about (from logical standpoint, don't know about db) making object
identified a composite: object number + object version?
The combo has to be unique, but not its elements.
Then version information will be carried along with any object reference.
> 2) what do we do when the new version is produced. My idea is - to
> switch all the object connections to that new version ( edit) or to
> produce a new version disconnected, to be used in another parent
> object (clone).
From http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php/UU_Tech

When a new version is created, all objects linking to this one are
notified. Their action can be one of the following:

    * Silently use new version
    * Use new version and notify owner
    * Notify owner and keep old version
    * Silently stick with old version