Re: Session Language?

Sounds good.

Alexey Parshin wrote:
Ok,

At my best understanding:

1) We define a new entity: 'request language'

2) If the request language is defined in request, it takes priority over default languages

3) Request language isn't stored in session but lives as a part of the request only

That is pretty much what I had in the mind.

Consequencies:

- UMO should have a list of languages of existing translations displayed somewhere next to it. Clicking on on of those languages sets the request language.
- Translation operation also sets request language

I will present the new sceen layout on this weekend. Technikally it isn't very difficult, but some stored proc displaying the content would now take 'request_language' parameter.

2008/8/28 Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh <ilya@total-knowledge.com <mailto:ilya@total-knowledge.com>>

    I think a better way is to have a "request" language, which could
    be passed
    from UMO to UMO for special cases like translation, but which
    would disappear
    once the translation process is no longer happening.

    Reason: I have recently had an experience with translating a site
    run by
    a content management system (drupal). The system follows your way
    (default language, user preferred language, current (session)
    language).

    Translating mistakes occur all the time, since end users keep
    forgetting to
    switch session language when creating a translation.

    Thus - I want to make it very explicit which language the content
    being created
    is in.

      Ilya.

    Alexey Parshin wrote:

        After implementing partial functionality of UMO edit, I've ran
        into an interesting problem:

        When user wants to translate a UMO, he (she) opens the UMO.
        The UMO is shown in one of the languages of { preferred for
        this user, default for this UMO }. If the user wants to
        translate a UMO to a language that is different from {
        preferred for this user }, he (she) selects a language from
        combo box and clicks on the translate button. Then, the UMO
        content in required language is automatically created.

        The problem is, in order to see that UMO content (in required
        language), one has to change own preferred language (in
        account settings, not implemented yet but coming soon) to that
        language. Same problem occurs if UMO has content in multiple
        languages already, and user wants to see a particular language
        content.

        My suggested solution is to have a session active language
        that is changed (in session) if users selects a content on
        some language or clicks on 'Translate'. By default, that
        language is set to preferred at the session start.

-- Alexey Parshin,