Re: Signing up for course

Anatoly Volynets wrote:
> See notes below.
>
> Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
>
>> OK. Here is the course sign-up work flow as I see it.
>> Comments are welcome.
>>
>> 1. Student is presented with UMO View" page
>> 2. If he is not signed up already, and is not in one of the
>> manager/editor groups,
>>      sign up button is displayed
>>

> There is probably a situation there when a student wants to study the
> same UMO in different classes. Thus "sign up" button can be always presented

Student cannot "sign up" for UMO. He can only sign up for a class. And
classes only
belong to courses. And student cannot study a whole course through two
different
classes. Situation where same UMO comes through two different
courses/classes is
handled by simply letting him study the UMO once through whatever class
he comes
first to it, and then considering it "passes" in the rest of the cases.

>> 3. Sign up button presents student with list of public classes (do we have a
>>     concept of private classes?) connected to the course.
>>

> Am not sure, but private classes seems to be suitable, for a class can
> be a pure business. Anyway, restrictions for sign up must be allowed for
> different reasons like class overfilled.

Well - private class is different in that it won't show up at all on
class listings, even when sign up is possible.

>> 4. Student finds a suitable class, and signs up to it.
>>
>> Questions:
>> - Should we skip class list page, if there is only a default class?
>>

> The default class? I think the answer for list is 'yes' or we need to
> display a special comment like: There is only default class for this UMO
> here. You can sign up for it. This means you are going to study on your own.

It doesn't really mean he's going to study on his own. Course admin might
add teachers to default class (and course author is teacher himself).

>> - How should we display the default class in the listing, to make
>>   it clear to the potential student what it is
>>

> "Study on your own"
>

>> - Do we need "unlistable" classes (presuming teacher of such class
>>   will give some sort of reference to it to his target students in other
>>   ways)
>>

> Isn't it the same question as about private classes? I think options for
> a teacher can be as follows:
> A) To present class for public sign up
> B) To present class as existing, but closed for sign up (this feature
> must be controlled by app for not to be used as a commercial trick)

What trick? (If that's what you are thinking about, we could list number
of teachers and students in each published class)
> C) To hide class from public, but yes -- to give authorized students
> some kind of key access
>

>> - What info will be useful to the student on the class listing page?
>>

> a) UMO description by the teacher (can differ from that of the author),
> b) Conditions for sign up
> c) Teacher's notes for
> d) Probably, feedback references from those who studied this class
> e) ...

Interesting ideas. We'll need to add them to the spec.