Re: UU Courses and classes

2007/5/13, Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh <ilya@total-knowledge.com>:
Alexey Parshin wrote:
> After the latest discussion, here is my understanding of course:
>
> 1) A course is a separate entity that refers to TLT. It doesn't point
> to a specific version of TLT, but to TLT base.
>
> 2) A course is created AFTER the corresponding TLT is created.
In terms of order of inserting records - yes. However, it should be done
with one procedure,
as it is impossible to turn regular topic into TLT, and it is impossible
to have TLT that isn't
a course.

Agree 100%.

As a somewhat related reminder - TLTs do not show up in any
UMO searches
for topics - in other words, it should be impossible to link to TLT, as
if it were a subtopic.

I beleive that's two different things. It's not too difficult to add a check in topic_to_topic_attach() proc, to avoid any possibility to use TLT as a subtopic. As for search queries - currently it is up to GUI.

At least that's the way I see it now, I may change my mind later :)
> During the course creation, ALL the authors of ALL the existing
> versions of this TLT are included into the ACL group 'COURSE ###
> ADMINS' with the new access right "COURSE MANAGEMENT".
Err.. There is always single author initially, so your statement above
_may_ be changed like that:
"Adding an author to a course, automatically adds that user to 'COURSE
### ADMINS' group.
However, if we go back to general UMO access, we'll see that there is
already a group that has
those rights: the group that has "EDIT" or "PUBLISH" or whatever we
called that access to
TLT - which automatically includes all relevant people (this slightly
changes original requirement
that all authors be allowed to set policies, since not all authors will
necessarily have such access,
but if one thinks about this issue _after_ getting good night of sleep
rather then before, it is clearly
the right thing to do).

I suspect that UMO ACL is different from course ACL in a way that course ACL describes rights over all the UMOs in the course. At least, I understood it this way.

> We would need to talk more about - what are the things people in
> COURSE ADMIN group may do.
Define class creation policy, in addition to all the things that can be
done on normal topic.

The simplest thing is just use TLT ACL, of course. Just consider my comments about course above. At this point, I need to know, if the course ACL is the same as TLT ACL.

> 3) When a course is created, the class creation mode is defined as
> (roughly) { Free; Minimum donation; Fixed payment; Periodic payment;
> Percentage payment }
I missed the moderation somehow in the original post... Also, on your part,
I don't see the "credit giving" bits. I.E. whether author wants to allow
to differentiate
between those who donated and those who didn't (or perhaps based on amount).

> Item three requires a new entity, 'payment policy', as a separate
> table, listing  { Free; Minimum donation; Fixed payment; Periodic
> payment; Percentage payment } with their attributes,
> and another new entity, 'actual payment policy', referring 'payment
> policy' and providing a value for the payment (fixed or %).
>
> Actual payments should be computed instantly (for fixed payments) or
> periodically by running a stored proc twice a month.
Let's complicate that a bit. Payment period should be definable by author,
in one day increments.

How do you see this? Pay $10 every 3rd day? I just don't think that kind of granularity is needed. It is possible, of course, but would require more complicated proc to run every day - to compute the payments. After all, most of financial institutions use only fortnightly and monthly periodic payments, IMHO.

I can start developing course now.