Re: course <-> topic, take 3

Alexey Parshin wrote:
From what you're saying, the course isn't necessary for the topic.
That is right in certain sense. By specs, a topic (like ANY other UMO in THIS environment!) may be created alone, for the purpose just to be created. In this case it stays in Repository under category "Topics". We have to decide if stand alone topic (like any other UMO, except for Course) may be allowed on proprietary server. As of now I tend to forbid this.
In real life, the topic always belongs to some course.
Right, and this is to be implemented, when a course is created.

I do understand the situation when topic belongs to more than one course - that totally makes sense.
This requires clarification. "This topic" may be used in different courses when it is sharable. OTOH, logically it belongs to that one course only it is included in! These are different relationships.
I don't see much difference so far between the top-level topic and the course. The only difference I can see so far is the connection to the students. In that case top-level topic is the course. However, the topic may also have connection to the persons such as access level and status, for instance.
Please, clarify this by displaying detail in specs:

   Course

[edit <http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php?title=UU&action=edit&section=15>]

     Necessary Features

   * Title

   * Author(s)

   * Choice of server:

Open Server or Proprietary one

   * Choice of access for students:

   *
         o Free or Paid Course

[edit <http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php?title=UU&action=edit&section=16>]

     Optional Features

   * Topics.

   * Tests

   * Competitions

   * List of experts

[edit <http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php?title=UU&action=edit&section=17>]

   Topic

[edit <http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php?title=UU&action=edit&section=18>]

     Necessary Features

   * Title

[edit <http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php?title=UU&action=edit&section=19>]

     Optional Features

   * Summary (Annotation)

   * Test

   * Explanations

   * Blocks of problems of different difficulty levels

[edit <http://www.total-knowledge.com/wiki/index.php?title=UU&action=edit&section=20>

So, my original schema was correct, and topic relates to course as many to many.

Again: talking about what? Shareability or content relationship? If this is the later - no: one course - many topics.