Re: course <-> topic, take 3

From what you're saying, the course isn't necessary for the topic. In real life, the topic always belongs to some course.
I do understand the situation when topic belongs to more than one course - that totally makes sense.
I don't see much difference so far between the top-level topic and the course. The only difference I can see so far is the connection to the students. In that case top-level topic is the course. However, the topic may also have connection to the persons such as access level and status, for instance.

So, my original schema was correct, and topic relates to course as many to many.