Re: Database schema

> sergey@total-knowledge.com wrote:
>> 3. It should be a time interval allowed for Authors to finish their
>> editings, after this time UMO should be unlocked automaticaly. It will
>> help with situations when Authors leave their work without publishing,
>> if
>> they got disconnected before publishing, etc.
>>
> First of all, let's not mix up "publishing" and "saving".
> Second, time interval is fine, but on the other hand, what does one
> do if it just takes too much time to do the edit, and yet he doesn't
> want to save it (think: large textual change, that is still considered
> minor edit on a published object)

I've been thinking about it too and the only thing I can come up with is
to allow Author to chose a reasonable time interval by himself when he
gets into "editing mode", let's say, from the dropdown.
If the time is about to expire, Author will get a warning and he may
extend it if he wishes so. Of course, Authors should know a priori that
their time may expire and they may lose their work.

>>> There are some complications with this approach.
>>> 1. We can't just lock an object whenever an Author of this object or
>>> Referer view it in their browsers.
> Correct.
>>>  We need to know for sure that they are
>>> going to edit it, so they will have to take some action to get into
>>> "editing mode" first(like clicking on the "Edit Mode' button on the
>>> page),
>>> then we can lock the object for other authors(not students).
> Works for me.
>>>  During the
>>> editing process other than current Authors will see a message "Object
>>> is
>>> currently locked, come back later".
> Works for me.
>>>  Once cuurent Author publishes it, it's
>>> unlocked and available for other co-Authors.
> Works for me.
>>>  The one of them who gets into
>>> "editing mode" first has the priority to edit an UMO.
>>>
> What is that supposed to mean?

Nevermind this statement, it's just a repetition of the obvious thing that
only one Author may change an UMO at one time.

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008