Re: First portion of data structure to start from

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:

IMHO,  an apprentice is a trusted student, with some extra rights/duties.
Kind of like TA in US. Question is what exactly these rights would be?
Let's get away with it.

Means - a topic may require an optional list of other topics. And yes,
this is one of the required relations, probably the most important. It
means - the person can't start topic if he/she didn't complete the
required topics.
What does "complete" in this context mean to you?

We have to put "complete"-idea in the wider context of work-flow. Regarding prerequisites - see my another post.

   Keyword to Topic relation
     Type: one to many
     Fields:
       keyword

   One keyword an be used in many topics, courses and so forth, while
   many
   keywords can be used in a course, topic, explanation, etc. So it is
   many-to-many and involves many objects, not only topics.

Yes, however if we do it this way - we have more complicated structure
with not so much of the gain. It may be done both ways, with some pros
and cons.
Can we try the "full-text" search approach instead? I'm not sure on the
details of this
technology, but I know it exists in some database engines. Could be
better then trying
to implement pure keyword searches on our own.

I am pro all possible searches!

   Explanation to Topic relation
     Type: one to many ---- if one-to-many, then Topic to Explanation:
   there supposed to be many explanations for a topic

   Explanation to Person relation - I'm not sure we need this at all
     Type: one to many

This could mean different things. Relation 1: Explanation and its author
Relation 2: Explanation and student, if he read it. Relation 3 (this one is
not direct): explanation and referrer (i.e. someone using explanation in his
topic)

I am not sure we need it at all. OR we can think again about generic many-to-many person to object relation

   Explanation
     Fields:
       name,
       reference to source, ---- Why we need this? If an author refers
   students to a text from Repository instead of writing his own text
   (next
   field)? I think this situation does not differ from usage of other
   objects.
       text

Don't you want to know - where (from outside) this text came from? The
Bible, a book, etc.. It's optional.
Does "Source" in this case mean "External Source"? If so - do we need to
have separate field for it?
And besides - if we use external sources (i.e. for indexing/searching
purposes), we'll need one-to-many
relationship here.
Looks like

And it looks like we need to go through specs again, God help us.

--

Anatoly Volynets, Co-Founder
total-knowledge.com

Authoright © Total Knowledge: 2001-2008